Important notice for all field trips!
We love having people on our trips. However, they can be dangerous if participants are not careful. You are strongly advised to read the full Field Trip rules: Field Trip Rules.
Here are some key highlights:
- You don't need to be a member to attend our trips. Trips are $10 for non-members and $5 for members.
- Children must be 7 years of age or older and must be closely attended at all times. Children under 7 are not allowed on any field trip properties, period. One adult per child. They cannot be wandering off.
- Bring safety glasses. We may have extras available - but if you do not have them, you will not be able to join the trip. They should be on at all times.
- Wear real shoes and long pants. Sandals, flip flops and shorts are not acceptable - dress for the dig!
- Always be careful. Especially watch out above and below you on rock piles, and around you if you're breaking rocks.
- No drones and no smoking. We do not want fires or other dangers on our trips.
- Follow all directions given by field trip coordinators and helpers!
- Have fun! If you don't know what it is you picked up, ask a senior club member or just ask Dan.
The rules will be presented again in full before the trip begins.
Please note, field trips starting in 2023 will meet at the Cliffs Shaft Museum parking lot in Ishpeming by default! We will no longer be found at the Shopko parking lot, as it has become a little too full for regular use. We may meet elsewhere in special cases (ie Lindburg Mine). If you have any concerns where to meet up, please reach out.
Meetings are held at the Cliffs Shaft Mine Museum in Ishpeming. Doors open at 1:00 to allow visitors time to check out our mineral collection displays.
Upcoming Meetings & Events (2023)
Program Meeting (featuring Scott Markert)Cliffs Shaft @ 1:30pm
September 17th, 2023
Scott Markert, one of the Founders of the Ishpeming Rock and Mineral Club (along with his parents, Bob and Marian Markert) will speak on “The History of Rock Collecting in the UP with the Ishpeming Rock and Mineral Club – 1950’s, 1960’s and the 1970’s.” Scott will show us what mines the club collected at in those early days and the specimens they collected over those years.
Program MeetingCliffs Shaft @ 1:30pm
October 15th, 2023
John Gilner, local Collector and Avocational/Amateur Archaeologist will present us “The Art of Flint Knapping.” Flint knapping is the process of manipulating raw mineral material into workable tools like scrapers, knives, or projectile points. Prior to discovering and learning how to make metals all early cultures used flint napping techniques for tool and weapon manufacture.
John will demonstrate the two main techniques consisting of percussion flaking and pressure flaking using more traditional knapping tools of stone and antler.
Program Meeting: Show and TellCliffs Shaft @ 1:30pm
November 19th, 2023
The program for November will be: “Show and Tell—an opportunity to show your summer’s collected rock treasures and share your rock collecting tales.” Members will show off their new treasures and a panel of Club Members will be available to help identify local rock and mineral specimens brought by members and visitors.
Annual Christmas Dinner and MeetingRiver Rock Lanes Banquet Center in Ishpeming, MI @ 5pm
December 3rd, 2023
Jack Deo will present a history of the UP through his vast array of historical pictures.
Members must sign up in advance -- at the October and/or November regular meeting.